The monks gathered around. Laughed, and Jorge became infuriated: “You are drawing these brothers of mine into sunglasses a feast of fools. I know that among the Franciscans it is the custom to curry the crowd’s favor with nonsense of this kind, but of such tricks I will say to you what is said in a verse I heard from one of cheap Nike Sunglasses your preachers: Tom codex Carmen exult.” The reprimand was a bit too strong. William had been impertinent, but now Jorge was accusing him of breaking wind through the mouth. I wondered if this stern reply did not signify, on the part of the elderly monk, an invitation to leave the cheap Oxydo Sunglasses scriptorium. But I saw William, so mettlesome a moment earlier, now become meek.
“I beg your pardon, venerable Jorge,” he said. “My mouth has betrayed my thoughts. I did not want to cheap Paul Smith Sunglasses show you a lack of respect. Perhaps what you say is correct, and I was mistaken.” Jorge, faced by this act of exquisite humility, emitted a grunt that could express either satisfaction or forgiveness; and he could only go back to his seat, while the monks who had gradually collected during the argument scattered to their places. William knelt again at Venation’s desk and resumed searching through the cheap Persol Sunglasses paper. With his humble reply, William had gained a few seconds of quiet. And what he saw in those few seconds inspired his investigation during the night that was to come.
But they were really only a few seconds. Benn came over at once, pretending he had forgotten his stylus on the desk when he had approached to hear the conversation with Jorge; and he whispered to William that cheap Police Sunglasses he had to speak with him urgently, fixing a meeting place behind the bleary. He told William to leave first, and he would join him in a short while.
William hesitated a few moments, and then called Malachi, who, from his librarian’s desk near the catalogue, had followed everything that cheap Polo Ralph Lauren Sunglasses had happened. William begged him, in view of the injunction received from the abbot (and he heavily emphasized this privilege), to have someone guard Venation’s desk, because William considered it important to his inquiry that no one approach it throughout the day, until he himself could come back. He said this in a loud voice, and so not only committed Malachi to keep watch over the cheap Polo Sunglasses monks, but also set the monks themselves to keep watch over Malachi. The librarian could only consent, and William and I took our leave.
He admitted he had been reticent that morning, but now, on sober consideration, he felt William should know the whole truth. During the cheap Pirelli Sunglasses famous conversation about laughter, Beranger had referred to the “finis Africa.” What was it? The library was full of secrets, and especially of books that had never been given to the monks to read. Benn had been struck by William’s words on the rational scrutiny of propositions. He considered that a monk-scholar had a right to know everything the library contained, he uttered words of fire against the Council of Soissons, which had condemned Abelard, and while he spoke we realized that this monk was still young, that he delighted in rhetoric, was stirred by yearnings toward freedom, and was having a hard time accepting the limitations the discipline of the sun glasses abbey set on his intellectual curiosity. I have earned always to distrust such curiosity, but I know well this attitude did not displease my master, and I saw he was sympathizing with Benn and giving him credence.
没有评论:
发表评论